Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Shrimp and Acorn Squash Medley

Delicious concoction I made this evening if I do say so myself. Quick, easy, tasty and enough left over for a healthy lunch serving.

1 lb frozen shrimp - I like the Key West jumbo shrimp from Whole Foods; tastes like lighter lobsta meat!  Fresh shrimp would work as well but I require the luxury of the frozen kind ;)
1 cup tomato sauce - it's official, I am obsessed with Monte Bene. You can get it from any organic market.  No sugar or preservatives added... it tastes like you roasted tomatoes and basil, from your garden, for hours, in your kitchen.  DELIC!

Soak frozen shrimp in lukewarm water for 15 minutes.  In meantime, boil pot of water. Add shrimp to the boiling water and couple dashes of salt.  Boil for 3-5 minutes.  Run under cool water, peel and dip in tomato sauce.

For squash, cut in half and scoop out seeds.  Smooth olive oil over squash and salt and pepper.  Bake in oven, flesh side up (about 400 degrees) for about 30 minutes. OR if you are always eating around 9pm like me, use your microwave.  I cooked one half for 5 minutes on high in the micro (still rub on olive oil and season).  After the squash is done cooking, pour tomato sauce over squash.

If you wanted to create a spaghetti with shrimp of-sorts, you could scoop the meat out of the acorn, place sauce and shrimp over mashed squash.  Spaghetti squash would also work - I just happen to think acorn squash has a bit more flavor... it tastes like fall to me :)  and if tomato sauce isn't your fancy, cinnamon, cocoa powder, nutmeg ... they would all work as seasoning after the squash is cooked.  Manja!  Manja!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds delicious! I am going to try that this weekend. And how were the pancakes?

    ReplyDelete