Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

End of the Paleo Challenge

So last week was the official end of the Paleo Challenge. I wrapped up Friday by completing a Crossfit Total WOD and then stuffing my face at the Paleo (freezing cold) rooftop bbque.  I won the spirit stick - really, was this ever not an option?! - which means dinner for two at Fogo de Chao (I know I am not spelling this right but you know this place, its a meat restaurant!). YUM.  Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I am glad I went.  I wasn't as impressed with my change in weight for the Total as I was with change in time for the Thursday WOD.  But I'll take what I got!  Still would like to see my back squat at 200 and deadlift at 255 ... I will feel super accomplished (and strong) at that stage.

WOD
Crossfit Total
1 rep max Back SquatDeadlift and Press (in that order)

RESULTS
Back Squat 180
Deadlift 235
Press 75
Total 490  (former was 470)

ANALYSIS
Lifting Friday felt a bit off.  I don't like doing these one rep max lifts with no one else lifting. I like having to wait while 3-4 people lift from the bar - it gives me time to collect myself and rest my muscles.  I also think, to Andrew's point, that because I am lifting heavier weight, when I start with the lower weight I am just muscling it up instead of being aggressive with the lift. These two factors combined equals a "Jenn Miller" working too hard to get weight up!  The more aggressive I am the more the momentum of the lift will push the weight up vs. all me, all the time.  I improved on by back squat by 10lbs and think I could have gotten the 185 up but I went down too fast and too forward which = Jenn's on her butt and Andrew holding the weight.  Next time.  
As for my deadlift, I was pleased to get up 235 but not pleased that I couldn't open my hips at the top of the lift!!  Seriously. Andrew got some hilarious video footage of me wobbling around with the weight, trying to pop it up with one thigh (which is now all sorts of bruised) and generally laughing and struggling to open up.  Hilarious.  I count it as lifted but in competition it would not have passed.  
Press stayed the same. Ever the same. Hardest lift ever when you reach that max.

I am enjoying staying relatively Paleo in my eating habits even though the challenge is done.  I do allow myself some diary and treats. For example, Saturday at the farm I ate (and really enjoyed!) a caramel apple. And I refuse to feel guilty about it. I have come to terms with eating 85% Paleo, making good eating choices most often, and then when I want to stray, as long as its only here and there and not every day, then I will and I will enjoy making the decision :)  I feel like I have come to a good place with eating and body image (though it always feels like there is more work to be done). I am happy.